1. It Has Its Own Flower
Richmond’s city flower is the iris.
2. It Had The First Electric Streetcars In The US
The Richmond Union Passenger Railway. While earlier attempts had been made across the country, Richmond was the first city that successfully integrated electric street cars into their transportation.
3. Richmond Was The Confederate Capitol
Richmond was the capitol of The Confederate States Of America and was under martial law.
4. You Can See London From Richmond
Photo: DAVID ILIFF. License: CC-BY-SA 3.0
Richmond was named after Richmond Hill in London. The view of The James supposedly resembles the view of The Thames.
5. My Dinner With Andre Was Shot In Richmond
The entire film was shot at The Jefferson Hotel.
6. The Jefferson Hotel Used To Have Live Alligators
Photo: The Jefferson Hotel FB Page
The alligators living in the fountain became so popular, that people donated their own alligators. There are two bronze alligators in the fountain, today.
At Scoutology, we scout your city so you don’t have to. You’re going to love the Scoutology Network.